7.22.2009

How yoga is saving my life. Again.

In the three weeks since I’ve returned to work, I’ve barely practiced. My body has been rebelling. Its displeasure is clear and I’ve had to accept a less rigorous practice – or no practice at all.

Once the imbalance in my hips was resolved, the strain in my neck returned. That was taken care of in turn, thanks to the osteo, but only to be replaced by a cold that knocked me out for four days. I am finally getting back to “my old self” and look forward to resuming my yoga practice on Friday.

So how is that yoga’s been saving my life when I haven’t even been practicing?

I’ve had the pleasure – and privilege – of assisting one of my favourite teachers at AYM. Being an assistant may not seem like a glamorous affair, but it’s been very educational for many reasons.
  • I better understand the range of limitations and flexibility issues experienced by different bodies.
  • It’s triggered my inner problem solver.
  • It’s increasing my confidence.
But best of all – it’s given me back my sense of satisfaction and purpose.

I see a problem – or a student asks for assistance. I address it gently, attentively. Immediately I see the student’s face relax or his spine extend – or I hear the sigh of release.

And there it is.

Results. Goodness. Ease. Someone has been helped.

A feeling I don’t frequently achieve. I write marketing copy. It gets reworked by the client, their partners. I rarely see – or even recognize – the final result. Sometime later I might hear that the promotion generated $$$ of sales.

My daily work is abstract. Twice and three times removed from my act of writing. I don’t see the results. I never see the faces of those that read it. If they read it.

So yes, as I return to the routine of “mandate in, text out”, yoga has been saving my life with its promise of results, goodness, ease, help.

3 comments:

Pinny said...

great post and the greatest chairt you can do is by helping someone else

Moon and Sparrow Sandy said...

You helped me today too! I started modifying my sun salutations to preggo sun salutations! Thanks for reminding me that there are positions that could make the little shrimp uncomfortable.

See you soon!

ad said...

Go little shrimp go!

(is it helping with the g-a-s?)