As far as Hindu goddesses go, Lakshmi, all serenity in her pink lotus, is pretty hot. She's the personification of fortune, beauty and prosperity - no wonder she's the consort of Vishnu, the supreme being! They're the Brangelina of the Hindu universe.
I'm all Lakshmi-ed up - wall-to-wall love and prosperity are coming my way, people. But I have to say that if given the choice, I would choose Durga over Lakshmi.
For the geek set, this is somewhat akin to making a choice between Princess Leia and Padmé Amidala. Between Eowyn and Arwen. Between gorgeous and kick ass, and beneficent and just having a sweet can. Do you feel me?
Why you should want to be Durga too:
- She's exquisitely beautiful.
- She's a supreme goddess.
- She rides a lion or tiger.
- She convinced the male gods to give her their fiercest weapons.
- She is the embodiment of creative energy.
- All the male gods want to get down with her.
- Her name in Sanskrit means 'invincible'.
- She is fearless.
Although in some aspects of my life, I should be a little less invincible, I could stand to learn a little more fearless. Maybe if I had some crazy chakra karate chop...
While I work it out, embrace your inner Durgas!