10.28.2009

My family thinks I'm a spaz

Why do I always end up looking like a spaz in front of my family?

I like to think that I'm a capable person with resources enough to resolve most situations and smarts enough to call for help when I need it. I rarely lose things or have a *really* messy house. I'm good with navigation, a trustworthy person to loan stuff too, and fairly punctual.

I do okay, you know?

But every time the Palancas gather, I end up feeling like the village idiot. I'm late, I forget stuff... and end up giving my parents and brother more fodder for teasing me.

On Saturday, I was late to the big family dinner. When I slipped behind the wheel, I was "delighted" to discover that my car wasn't starting. I called my brother and he picked me up on the way to the resto.

After dinner, we all went back to my house. My father and brother wanted to see if they could boost the car. That's when the laughter began:
  • In my haste, I had left the car keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. Who cares if no one could make off with it, "Adria! Did you leave the keys in here to save time?"
  • My mother, while in my house, noticed that my fridge was empty-ish. Who cares if Sunday is grocery day, "Adria! Why don't you have food? You ate enough at dinner - is that supposed to last you all week?
And on, and on, and on... BLURGH! How do they do that??

3 comments:

Brooks Hall said...

Sounds like: You Are Loved!

ad said...

I know I am :)
Writing that post also made me realise where I inherited my sense of humor from!

Curious Traveller said...

I can especially relate to the no-food-in-the-fridge thing. In fact, once I went grocery shopping in anticipation of my parents arriving for a one-hour stop-over on their way to the Townships. I was very satisfied that my mom couldn't remark on the emptiness of my fridge, as she usually does... but then of course I couldn't eat everything I had bought and wound up having to throw most of it out a few days later.