10.15.2009

When your clients don't respect you















What to do? What to do?

Lately, I've heard from several friends who are freelancers and who are dealing with clients who consistently show no respect for the expertise and talents of the person they hired.

It's a situation I know all too well from my freelance days.

In almost every case, the client is demanding changes that do not jive with the original briefing, the overall purpose of the page, and/or the existing content.

It's like wanting to add the large image of a purple poodle to a Web page that addresses how to plant bulbs for spring. It may complement the overall look of the page, but it dilutes the quality content, it detracts from the user experience and it could ultimately deter the site user from returning.

In situations such as these, you follow the usual protocols:
  • Reviewing documentation to make sure you didn't miss anything about purple poodles
  • Offering alternative suggestions that bridge the gap between their demands and your professional prerogative
  • Sending all recommendations by email, so that there's proof of your efforts
Sometimes, because of your due diligence, the client will become more open to discussion. But some clients consistently demand that you execute their orders, no arguments, thank you.

Clients are not obliged to take every piece of advice that you give them of course, but if you're starting to feel like a monkey rather than a valued collaborator, what do you do?

Jeffrey Tang
suggests asking the following question: If all my clients were like this, could I still run a successful business?” If the answer is no, it may be time to cut that client loose – even if it hurts to do so. It’ll be worth it in the long run.

For a freelancer, cutting the client loose is an especially scary step because of how precarious the freelance life can oftentimes be. But if your professional pride is suffering as a result of this client relationship - if how you view yourself is changing because of this situation - then a hard decision needs to be made.

Bref: Getting new clients is all about selling yourself and your abilities. Consequently, clients that cut down your confidence may in fact be preventing you from gaining new clients.

So when do you draw the line?

4 comments:

Jeffrey Tang said...

Thanks for taking on the ever-tricky topic of customer relationships. It's never easy to have demanding (or downright unreasonable) customers, especially when you're a freelancer.

Loved the action steps you suggested for dealing with problems that arise.

The only thing I'd add is to be vigilant at the beginning of business relationships as well. From personal experience, customers that are going to be disrespectful usually show signs pretty early on.

ad said...

Thanks for visiting Jeffrey!
When you're fresh at freelancing, it's so difficult to see the warning signs because you're hungry for work.

And frankly, we don't rely on our intuition enough in these matters.

I feel it's only fair to next write about (and praise) the clients that make freelancing a pleasure!

Curious Traveller said...

As a freelance writer, I can easily relate to this post but I feel compelled to point out that there's an important difference between a client who is disrespectful of the freelance writer as a person and one who doesn't agree with the freelance writer's professional opinion.

I don't bother with clients who are rude. I don't confront them about it; I simply become unavailable when they call. If it's an editor, I stop pitching to that person or, worst case scenario, that magazine/paper.

However, it's different when someone disagrees with the product that I'm producing. If I suggest five great taglines and they wind up choosing something that is boring, I don't really care. It's their product; not mine. I *do*, however, care a great deal when an editor makes revisions to an article that I don't agree with, and I care because it's my by-line that goes on that piece.

The tricky part for me comes when clients like my work but expect me to produce a ridiculous volume in a time period that is too short. Especially when this happens over and over. I grow weary of justifying why I cannot produce 200 well-researched, proof-read PowerPoint slides in a three-day period. It's like having to justify why I can't lift a 500 pound rock. I just can't do it.

And they know I can't. Somehow it's just hopeful thinking that compels them to ask for the impossible. Still, I don't like the position it puts me in.

ad said...

Thank you for illustrating the points so clearly, Sarah - and AMEN, sister!