1.05.2010

Knowing your writing process

I've been talking about writing a lot lately.

Not only because people want to know what I'll be doing over the next few months, but also because I want to know more about my writing process.

I intend to make this new venture a success, so I need to know as much as I can about my process. Having this information will help me to:
  • create a fair balance between freelance writing and creative writing
  • make optimal use of the time dedicated to creative writing
  • not put undue pressure on myself about creative output (or lack thereof)
When it comes to the creative process, I don't do outlines and I can't tell you how any story will end. I simply begin with a moment or character, and start writing from there. I make decisions as the story develops, usually by asking myself specific questions.
  • What would Character A do in this situation?
  • How would Character B react to this statement?
  • What happens next?
I trust in the process. If I let the questions sit for a few days, the answer will always appear. In the rare case that it doesn't, it usually means that the idea is not worth pursuing after all. This applies to the blog writing as well.

I'm also planning the writing according to my most creative hours of the day. That's why most afternoons between 2-5pm are dedicated to errand-running, email answering and napping.

So far it's been rolling along smoothly enough. My big struggle? Being patient when I want the answers to my questions and they're not finished brewing yet.

I'm really curious about your writing process. What works for you? What are you struggling with? I've started writing with another talented writer friend - have you attempted it? Did it help or hinder the process?

2 comments:

peawry said...

I find that for me, the simplest thing works: plant ass in chair every morning for 3 hours. Consistency. People need to rid themselves of the delusion of the "muse" and that one can only work when the muse strikes. No. It is a job and must be treated as such. Every day. Same time, same place. Rain or shine. Hungover or cramps.

ad said...

I'm down with that, sister.