1.16.2010

Random notes from this week

  • Why do I feel compelled to apply full make-up before going to MAC? I'm afraid that if I go there with nothing on my face, they'll deem me unworthy of the Lucky Green eye shadow I want. "No eyeshadow for you!"
  • I love getting my eyebrows threaded. It's the whole experience. Lovely young Indian woman leaning over you, quietly humming some Hindu love song, her hair smelling of coconut oil. I often get a little sleepy on the bed...
  • Why are compliments so important? Yes, it's important to love yourself first and best etc., but have you noticed that when you don't get any compliments from the opposite/desired sex for a period of time, it's sometimes harder to pick yourself up? You feel all *moche* and look for ways to make yourself feel more attractive (see points 1 and 2). I used to think that compliments are frivolous, but then I read this:
Compliments exert enormous influence in the exchange of good will between people. They generate mutual feelings of happiness and joy between the givers and recipients. Compliments to others are like small gifts we give ourselves when we pay attention to how we appreciate those around us. Paying a sincere compliment to someone makes you very attractive.

6 comments:

Moon and Sparrow Sandy said...

That's so interesting that you just posted this... I recently started complimenting people whenever I found myself admiring somebody. I couldn't recently work up the courage to tell the girl at the bakery how lovely she is but I have been telling strangers when I like their coats, hair, bag...etc. It's hard to do - I am always afraid of looking like a weirdo. Why?

ad said...

I used to be afraid that people would think I was weird. But the thing is, people love compliments. Think about how you feel when you get a compliment. You could be giving people that feeling! THAT'S EXCITING!

Moon and Sparrow Sandy said...

I know. I'm gonna compliment soebody today. Weird or not.

ad said...

You're such a sweetie, Sandy!

(see? it's easy)

Mtnhighmama said...

what is eyebrow threading? I have to admit, I've NEVER been to a mac counter. Or bought a mac cosmetic. when i saw it in bold, i actually thought maybe you were referring to the 'puters. sigh.

but i do like green eyeshadow artfully applied!

ad said...

Click on the bold text - it leads to a video that shows you what threading is. It's very good for your skin, doesn't cause additional wrinkles (like waxing), and it's a process that respects the eyebrow shape you have.

If you ever come to Mtl - I'll take you!