2.01.2010

Praise!

Good class tonight. The women had it easy - we practiced the cross system, so the men were doing most of the work.

And I got praise!

In tango, I do not as yet have a way to know if I am dancing correctly because I can't see myself as I move. I can usually tell if a yoga posture is correct because of my inner alignment, but I haven't learned those cues yet for tango.

Due to a lack of male partners, I danced once with the teacher, Jean-Philippe. I was a little nervous, but I just let myself be carried by the breath. We danced down one length of the room at one speed and then he slowed it down along the second length to see how I reacted to his cues.

The nerves came back as we slowed to a stop, but when he said, "Trés bien" - or very well - my heart soared. As silly as it may seem, getting praise from the teacher helps me to gauge my performance and inspires me to keep going. It helps me to feel hopeful about my improvement.

Even if I'm terrible at accepting compliments, when it comes to taking praise from my teachers, I hungrily eat up their words. Wanting and accepting praise is part of the learning process for me, as much as lectures, constructive criticism, and correction. Given in appropriate doses, it is an essential ingredient for motivation.

So if it's wrong to love praise, then let me be wrong, wrong, wrong!

4 comments:

Mari said...

I don't take compliments very well either - but even though I'm not very graceful about it, I'm so relieved when someone says I danced well or I've improved on something.

Eco Yogini said...

ohhhh, Montreal is such the perfect PLACE for this! I am le jealous :)

Unknown said...

What interesting threads you've got running through these posts. I've been mulling over somewhat similar issues lately. Over time, tango has very gently dislodged my own ambivalence about receiving compliments. (damn, even writing that I still get a squirrely feeling...as though just acknowledging that I do get the odd compliment makes me some kind of delusional prima donna -- so neurotic!)

But I must say your photos of tango shoes are torture! Those J'aime shoes are great. I googled them but got nothing. Are they sold in Montreal?

Jennifer (montrealtanguera.wordpress.com)

ad said...

Jennifer: The J'aime shoes - sadly - are no longer available. It's enough to break your heart, I know!

But now I'm looking forward to reading your blog so it's not too bad!

Tango has opened up a lot of interesting threads in my own life - it's been a true gift.