2.18.2010

Yoga adjustments... yes, please!

I love being adjusted in a yoga class.

Whether it's a refinement of the pose or help in going deeper, I get excited when I hear the teacher padding closer. I'm addicted to the feeling that an adjustment gives. With a refinement, there's the rush of finally achieving a more perfect alignment. With an assist, there's the release of muscular tension that washes over me like a warm wave.

For example, as I have (frequently) tight hips, one of my favourite postures is baddha konasana. The also-called "butterfly" pose always brings a little more space into my body, but the best is on Monday mornings, when I practice mysore at AYM, Jessie will sometimes sit behind me and weigh down my legs with her thighs.

And sometimes, she'll even lay her torso across my back so that I can fold even further through the breath. One morning, I opened my eyes to see that the tip of my nose was some three or four inches from my feet - a feat I cannot accomplish on my own steam.

I resurface feeling blissed out, my eyes open stickily. It's just too good.

That being said, a lot of people really don't like adjustments in yoga class. If one of those people is you, let me know why - I'd love to know.

2 comments:

Wings said...

I think adjustments are very important as they allow you to observe easily-obtained potential.

And if you don't like to be adjusted, then more for me!

ad said...

heheh - I like your way of thinking, Wings.