4.06.2010

Tango, progress

Just because I've been neglecting the blog - that doesn't mean that I've stopped tango lessons. In fact, I have finally graduated to Intermediate 1 - and we're halfway through the session already.

Now that the steps are more-or-less understood, the challenge at this stage is refinement. That is, making the movements seem fluid, adding the extra decoration that elevates the step, and learning how to improvise.

It's a challenge indeed - but now that I've located my confidence, I'm beginning to relish the extra effort it demands. I can't imagine stopping my lessons now.

Funny story from the last lesson:

My partner, Henri, is 6'2", while I am 5'4" and a bit. As he's taller than I - and because his legs are so much longer than mine - I sometimes find myself leaning back a bit or standing to one side of his shoulders when we should be squared. Regardless, we have been dancing for months and it's been fine.

This week, when we changed partners, I danced with Martin a few times. Martin is just a few inches taller than I - and somehow the tango changed. Alignment was easier, ganchos were more precise and I felt very grounded. We both expressed such joy after our dances together.

And because these things sometime slip out, I exclaimed, "It's so nice to dance with someone my own size!"

But it's true! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

8 comments:

Mari said...

I have! I have a couple of regular partners that are much taller than I am, and though I love dancing with them, it took quite awhile to figure out how "fit" (in close embrace) so that I wasn't leaning back or arching my back to stay connected. With both of them I can't really face forward or to my left because it's uncomfortable so I end up temple to jawline with them. Much easier. I must admit though. it can be a little bit of a relief dancing with someone my own height (or shorter) - I get to that "grounded, well-balanced" state a bit faster and easier.

ModernTanguera said...

Absolutely! I am fairly tall (especially in my heels), and my boyfriend is shorter than I am. I love dancing with him, but when I dance with someone taller we often just fit together more easily. Everything coalesces with less effort.

ad said...

I never expected it - but I knew if anyone would confirm my feelings, it would be you. Thanks Mari!

ad said...

MT - What's it like dancing with much shorter men?

Alston Adams said...

When would I ever get to see you dance? Are there recitals?

ad said...

Alston - no, there isn't a recital. But you might be able to come and watch a class - or a practica. I would have to ask.

Mr Russell said...

After the American Civil War amputees organized themselves into pairs with the same shoe size who were missing the opposite foot. Maybe we need a website for dance partners of a the same heighth. I'm 6'1" and I don't think I have ever danced with someone close to me. In the high school play one year there was a line about dancing "cheek to cheek" with a girl 5'2" or so. We used the other cheeks.

ad said...

Not a half bad idea, Mr. Russell.

I know a girl who might like to dance with you - she's much taller than most of the men in the room.