8.13.2008

The promotion

I have never been an overtly ambitious person. As far as I'm concerned, the only things that matter are doing work that I enjoy, working with people that I like and respect, and having enough money to pay my bills and fund a little yoga on the side.

To compound matters, although I am sociable, I am not naturally inclined towards networking and self-promotion. In fact, when I occasionally post a link towards this blog on my Facebook account, I worry that it will irritate my friends.

"Ugh. Is she pushing that blog again? Who wants to read that?"

Needless to say, I frequently undersell myself. So when a new position was announced at the office on Monday, I gave myself until Wednesday to work up the courage to ask if I could apply. Fate intervened when my boss called me into his office on Tuesday and offered me the position.

It still took me until this morning to accept it.

I have the skills to do the job well. My biggest worry was being given the job and not having the support of the people that matter the most. So I have spent considerable time over the last two days discussing it with my colleagues and closest friends, being reassured that everyone is supportive of this move, that everyone will still like me even if I'm doing something different.

And they are. And they will. And I'll be great. And I think I'll be okay with having more responsibility, more heft. How do I know? I know.

Oh, and Rob Brezny told me so in this week's Freewill Astrology:

Pisces Horoscope for week of August 14, 2008
Tony Blair, former Prime Minister of the UK, chose an unlikely context to propose marriage to his future wife: She was kneeling in front of the toilet wielding a scrub brush. I expect a comparable event in your near future, Pisces: An appealing invitation or big opening will come your way while you're in a humble position. The only advice I have is to put down your scrub brush before responding.

Onwards and upwards I go.

3 comments:

Marc-Olivier said...

You'll be amazing, as usual :)

ad said...

Thanks kids. Cookies for everyone!

Tha Connoisseur said...

Congrats RiRi! Keep on doing the damn thing girlie! :)