12.04.2008

Engaging in meaningful work

After a morning marked by frustration (unsuccessfully trying to access our security system with my Interac PIN, accidentally deleting a blog post, etc.), I sank down in my chair and listened to a tape of Malcolm Gladwell's presentation about developing human potential. It was delivered on Wednesday at the InfoPresse Innovations conference in Mtl.

He began by referring to Michael Lewis's theory of capitalization, that is, the rate at which a community takes advantage of its collective human potential, and then noted that only a small percentage of people in any given group ever fulfill their full human potential.

Gladwell attributes this blockage of capitalization to various factors, including poverty and cultural attitudes. One statement that I found to be particularly interesting was MG's assertion that "there weren't more dumb people in 1908 than there are right now", it's just that they were "stuck on farms" or other places where opportunities for developing their talents were limited.

Furthermore, according to MG, we all have inherent talents for math, music, etc. It's just a question of how hard we work and how much we are shaped by cultural attitudes towards learning.

I had two reactions to this:
  • We would like to think that we live in a country that encourages education. The truth is, we live in a country that imposes rules about what we'll learn and when. It's camouflaged with assertions of ensuring that our children are meeting certain goals every year, but reality, I think, is far less generous. Most schools push math and science, all the while cutting arts and music programs. How's that for limiting opportunities?
  • At first I objected, "we can't all go to university and be smarty-smartlets. Farms need to operate in order for everyone to eat and many farmers are passionate about what they do. Who are we to say that they're 'stuck' on their farms?" But then I chilled out a little.
MG is not supporting an elitist view of education in which all children must aspire to being the next Gladwell. The point is to offer children enough opportunities so that if they're suited to being farmers, they will become farmers, and if they're not suited to being farmers, they can discover whatever it is that will ignite their potential.

Who can argue with that? Isn't the belief that we're all inherently able far more human than believing "girls aren't good at math" and "men don't make good teachers"? Haven't we seen enough exceptions to these archaic stereotypes to finally invalidate such thinking?

I'd like to believe that I'm inherently good at math but that I was never disciplined enough to excel at it, because I found my niche in words and books.

I was lucky in that I discovered my potential early, but how many people out there are still searching, because they were never given the opportunity to explore their talents?

Too many, as MG reminds us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like what you say about education, here. The standardized testing that holds American public schools in its icy grip tests rote knowledge and actually discourages creativity or any kind of complex thinking. For instance, I tutor recovering addicts who are trying to get their GED's, and, when going through interpretive reading exercises the GED book, often finding myself telling them that they got an answer wrong precisely because, instead of choosing the simplest answer, they used their imaginations and thought about the question too much....Ugh....

Just wandered into your blog from Brook's (Yoga, the mind, and culture)...and horrified as I always am to see someone using the same blogger template as I, I really like your blog.

ad said...

I feel your frustration It seems as if the powers that be only believe in science and the mighty dollar - they are totally unable to understand how lives are enriched with the arts and creativity.

I hope you continue to fight the *good* fight. I will keep it up on my end.

Re. templates. I know - it's always a little embarassing. Like showing up at a party in the same dress...

Anonymous said...

Jacques Brel said: « Le talent, c'est d'avoir l'envie de faire quelque chose. »

Get off your ass, learn (by yourself?), explore, fail, work more, more, and more, trust yourself, and then you will write your book, your album, etc.

Bon, la vie n'est pas aussi facile, mais quand même;-)

ad said...

Amen, sister.

Anne-Marie: You're the perfect example of that work ethic - and I try to be.

I think life could really be that simple, no?

Don't we make things more complicated by trying to find shortcuts? Or doing something that we're not passionate about?