12.13.2008

Why I should take tango lessons

My agency rented a tango studio for our Christmas party on Thursday night, and part of the package was a 30-minute tango lesson. As I'm actively hunting for a dance class to take in the winter, I knocked a chair over in my excitement to get to the front of the line.

Conclusion: Tango is definitely a front runner. Why? To be good at it, I will have to relinquish control. In tango, you see, a woman follows. It is the man who must lead.

(Those that know me are now shaking their heads and giggling because they can smell the smoke that was curling out of my ears on Thursday night...)

Actual exchanges with my partners (identified as Victims 1 through 4), translated from the French when necessary:

V1: You're supposed to let me lead.
AD: I am!
V1: No, you're not! You only move when I move.
AD: Well, I can hardly just be a dead weight. I have to anticipate when you move.
V1: Just follow me.
AD: [eyeroll] Fine.

[No moving. Palanca makes a few false starts.]

AD: Now you're just doing it on purpose!
V1: Don't move unless I move!
AD: Then MOVE!

- - - - -

AD: I'm going to try with Esteve now.
V2 to V3: Be careful, she's going to pull you around.

- - - - - 

AD: I'll have you know that I did not have these problems with Esteve. We were floating on air!
v4: Did you let him lead?
AD: You're getting lippy.
V4: Let me lead.
AD: Not if your knees keep getting in the way of my knees like that.
V4: We are going to get this.
AD: Oooh, then lead on, big man!

New sessions start in mid-January if anyone wants to join. me.

4 comments:

Mtnhighmama said...

Oh boy, if you stick with tango, it's going to throw you for a loop.

But when you get that right connection, letting go and letting them lead, really lead...not anticipating, no expecting, not thinking...it's gorgeous. And it's strong, not weak feminine losing herself in her man kinda crap.

Tango made this queer feminist love the gender roles, at least in the dance.

ad said...

I got a chill when I read your comment - partly from the sentiment, partly from how well written it was. Thank you!

I look forward to reading more of your lovely writing on your blog: http://mtnhighmama.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

LOL Adriana. Welcome to the Divine Embrace. Or Obsession. It's actually both.

ad said...

Thank you for the welcome! I'm feeling very loved right now...