4.26.2009

My first practica

Today was a very good day in my new tango career.

Henri and I tried the practica at Studio Tango this afternoon and it was mostly scary, hugely challenging and finally, very thrilling.

We inched through the door and were shocked to see the dance floor alive with swirling couples. Having only taken lessons in small groups, we've never had to navigate around other couples before. CafĂ© tables, yes. But swiftly-moving couples who obviously have great skill and confidence. NO.

I was quivering in my brand-new, butter-soft tango shoes.

'If we can get through this,' we decided, 'we can take on anything.'

It was brutal. As beginners, we have undeveloped flow and a bad habit of hesitating. And because we were nervous, we kept forgetting what we were supposed to be doing. We tried to keep to the periphery and not get in anyone's way, but progress  was slow and after 30 minutes, we took a breather to regroup. The frustration was ripe.

That's when the most amazing thing happened. An older gentlemen - perhaps in his 50s or 60s - asked me to dance. I warned him (twice) that I was very beginner and only had 3 months practice.

"Then it's the perfect time to learn," he replied serenely.

This angel - whose name I forgot to ask - patiently led me around the floor for three tangos. He slowed down the steps to show me the technique. He praised me when I successfully learned the step. He even showed me the gancho when I started to move more confidently.

My heart was fluttering like a young girl's. It was one of the most wonderful tango experiences I've had. But it is exactly this openness and sharing that makes it easy for me to love tango.

Merci Monsieur!

5 comments:

Jill said...

When I'm nervous my palms sweat PROFUSELY. I can imagine how embarrassing it would be to have someone take my hand for dancing! They'd be disgusted! I wonder if you ever have that problem??

ad said...

My palms, no.
The back of my neck, yes!

Jill said...

You're lucky!...a little trickle down the back of your neck--that's not disgusting at all...some men might find that enticing. (And I didn't even mention my armpit situation).

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It gets easier (then harder) (then easier) from here on out.

Jill, it is charming to hold a lace hanky in such occasions. Or lovely cotton gloves :-)

Mari said...

What a wonderful post - my first practica was much the same, except I had no partner. I had to wait to be asked by random leaders than explain (repeatedly) how very new I was. There are dancers in almost every community I think that really take the time with beginners to help them learn. What Johanna said is right, like milongas, there are easier ones and harder ones. Just keep going.

And I agree about the lacy hanky - I've had to go buy a couple.