4.16.2009

Tango lesson 12

If you haven't already heard, I've been having a trying week.

As a result, tango class on Wednesday was possibly the longest 90 minutes of my life. I was wobbly, dizzy and distracted, making for much apologizing and little grace. I experienced the same frustrations in yoga the evening before, and so I tried to breathe and do my best, but it was a hot mess out there.

But the worst part was, the knowledge that I am not prepared for the next level. Extra practice would have helped, but since the only sessions are Friday nights from 9-10pm, it's been far easier to crumble into my bed and sleep off the week's stresses instead.

So now that the Beginner II level is complete, I have to decide how to juggle the following:
  • Re-enrolling for Beginner II, with or without my partner
  • Making the practica on Friday night
  • Checking out other tango studios
  • Finding a more convenient practice session in another studio
  • Whether or not to enroll at all since it will overlap with yoga teacher training
I don't want to stop dancing (like Mari says about the tango, if not now, when?) I just don't know how to make it work. Any advice?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Make the practice on Friday. I ~need~ more tango lessons!

ad said...

Whenever you're ready to come with - let me know.
They often have free intro classes right before practica. Seriously!

Unknown said...

Could well do.

Seriously!

ad said...

Excellent!

(just think of the shoe possibilities)

Anonymous said...

I have always encouraged Tango newbies to study with many different teachers so they can learn the commonalities (which are the most useful), and distinguish what is good technique from a particular teacher's individual quirks and "style".

But I am most impressed with your admission of unprepared to go to "the next level". I wish more people were realistic about their skill set, and humble enough to redo a level they have not yet mastered. Just don't give up :-)

ad said...

That's good advice, Johanna, thank you. At the studio where I've been taking classes, the instructor put the greatest emphasis on learning the steps.

What I'd really like to learn next is more about the specific posture and mindset for the woman. There wasn't quite enough of that the first time around and I think that's what I should look for now.

I'll keep you posted!

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Johanna, as usual , makes good sense.
Soemthing between the lines of your entry suggests that you might need to scout around to different classes. And beginner classes benefit all levels of dancer, all the time.
Good luck, Tang takes time.
XO
E

Mari said...

I wish I could do the "life balance" thing better, actually. I had to make an agreement with my husband that tango would not interfere with anything else (household needs, errands, yard work - you name it). Tango must work within the schedule of everything else. The problem is that the "everything else" seems to have turned to shades of gray, while tango gets more vivid with every class/practica/milonga.

I am continuing my beginner class next month with both my University teacher and my Esquina tango studio and then going to every practica I can. (And every milonga :-) ) Our community also has a lot of teacher sharing so that helps too - free classes before milongas, workshops at eachothers' schools - usually the cost is kept low. I look for every opportunity to study/dance with as many people as I can.