6.10.2009

Day Ten - Yoga teacher training

Why is a shower so comforting? I just took the longest, hottest shower in the history of the world and am essentially ready for bed.

Except I have to read. And my notes need some attention. And I don't have a lunch for tomorrow. And So You Think You Can Dance is on.

Buuuhhh.

So the fatigue has set in - and it arrived exactly when I expected it would. My body has finally caught on that this new schedule isn't as transitory as it was hoping, and it's been whining the last two days. Mild complaints from the lumbar spine. Groans from the hip sockets. Occasional bitching from the sciatic nerve.

Thing is, I'm getting enough sleep and food. The part that's kicking me in the butt is the rhythm. As a copywriter, you quickly learn how to ride the waves of your creativity, arranging your tasks to suit the time of day. If you know that your attention span dips between 1-3pm, you research or read industry blogs. When your eyes get tired, you gossip with your colleagues by the espresso machine for a change of scenery.

This new rhythm requires me to be conscious and attentive every minute of our eight-hour day. My teachers are a wealth of information and every word is gold. I can't burn off restlessness by chatting with Marty or watching Steve and Marco play foozball. I have to be in top form or else I'll miss something crucial.

I have to be present in every moment, obviously!

So to help my body relax (and stop complaining), I've taken extra measures. More hot showers. Better snacks. Reading in bed for a better transition to sleep. There may even be a pedicure in my future.

Bref: I'm listening to my body and taking the necessary measures. I already felt more energized today. That being said, I will now watch SYTYCD for an hour and then get me to bed.

No comments: