12.26.2009

Christmas 2009

I just popped out for a liter of milk. My neighbourhood, as expected, is as quiet as the tomb this morning.

Mile-Enders are good sleepers. On days when there is every good reason to stay in bed, you can rest assured that Mile-Enders will be doing so. The only other soul I crossed on my way to the gas station was an older man, sporting a clean white Santa Claus beard, a Montreal zip-up windbreaker and a blue bag full of cans and bottles. He nodded hello. I nodded back.

As I waited in line to pay for my milk, I realised that for the first time in many years, I had a nice Christmas.

As many of you know, I'm a part-time Grinch. The fact that I'm expressing this sentiment is quite extraordinary, but nonetheless true. There was no yelling, no guilt-making, no eye-rolling.

Our family gathering was peaceful and pleasant. I snuggled on the couch with my niece. My nephew taught me how not to suck at Need for Speed Nitro. I spent time with friends - even made gifts with Sandy (stay tuned for photos). Holiday cards were written with much care and love. Gifts were particularly well-chosen. Even the food tasted better.

But for once, I'm not questioning it or wondering why - I'm just enjoying it. I wish you all the same.

4 comments:

Moon and Sparrow Sandy said...

AND WHEN YOU POST THOSE PHOTOS ALL HELL IS GOING TO BREAK LOOSE.

I am expecting many commissions. Hopefully I'm not too busy in the new year... would be nice to make extra money making handmade YOU KNOW WHAT!

Mari said...

I can't believe the timeliness of your post. This was the first year in over a decade that I've bothered putting up the Christmas tree. I baked cookies. I sent out cards - years since I've done that as well. I think my family gave up on me. But this year was different. Is it tango? Something in the air? This was a good Christmas. I didn't come out on the other side of the holiday feeling emptier than before - as I have for years. I hope it's the start of a trend.

Happy New Year, tanguera - thank you for sharing so much in your blog. ((abrazos))

ad said...

Sandra D: I KNOW WHAT! How soon after you have the baby can we go back?

ad said...

I hope it's the start of a new trend too, Mari. I know what you mean about "feeling emptier" than before -- that was always the case with me.

Part of me thinks that it must be inner peace - I'm feeling better about my place in the world, so the world feels more comfortable to be in. I think you're feeling the same as me and it makes me smile to believe it.

Wishing you more joy in 2010 - and more tango of course!

Bises! ad