12.01.2009

Social thuggery

The LA Times recently published a compelling piece of commentary by Amy Alkon. In it, she writes that screaming children, loud cell phone talkers, and other disruptive people are committing acts of "social thuggery" that "steal our attention" and "wear away at our patience".

Alkon does make some very good points and she exaggerates a few, but the 236 comments that follow the article fall on both sides of the argument.

It just got me thinking about an incident on the metro last week.

I was riding home on the orange line - running a mild fever and burrowing my head into my elbow to lessen the pounding in my temples. A young couple parked their monster-sized stroller right behind me. I wouldn't have noticed but their young son started screaming as soon as the train rolled forward.

Piercing, high-pitched screams that had me on the verge of tears -- and with eight stops to go.

It quickly became obvious to me that the child only screamed while the train was moving. The father's reaction? Negotiating with the two-year old. Other passengers on the train started to get twitchy.

Finally, the mother, who was sitting in a single seat nearby, stood up and brought her son a bottle of milk. There was a tangible release of tension in the car.

What if we occasionally stopped to observe the situation and assess the needs of someone other than our self? The father was embarrassed and wanted his son to stop screaming. He didn't really understand why the child was screaming. The boy's mother, however, was far more attuned to her son's discomfort and the discomfort of those around them.

Same thing with loud cell-phone talkers. Have you ever noticed that most of their conversations begin with, "Nothing much, just waiting in line for coffee." They're on the phone because they're bored and they don't really understand how disruptive their meandering one-sided conversation is disturbing the peace of others.

Observe. Assess. Act accordingly.

Maybe?


8 comments:

dina said...

I like cell phone talkers. I love listening to their banal conversations, they provide me endless entertainment and a look into who they are without any effort at all. And sometimes you find out all sorts of titillating bits. It reminds me that everyone is a story.

ad said...

That's a nice way to think about it.

I'm just tired of hearing the mundane details. Maybe I need to be choosier when eavesdropping.

Alston Adams said...

Choosy eavesdroppers choose Jif.

ad said...

No authentication word?

Eco Yogini said...

I agree with you... I despise loud cell phone talkers. Really conversations should be private. Some disruptive behaviours are entertaining though-

For a few months I did a placement at the Miriam Center and needed to take the orange line from Laurier station. As we all get on the same car for the right exit, I saw the same people most days. Every evening there was an adult with Down Syndrome in the last car. He would be quietly standing and holding on to the pole listening to his 'tunes'. As soon as the metro started moving he would BURST out into awesome rock/kung fu moves. It was awesome. Each stop- he'd stop immediately and quietly bob his head. Each start- DANCING!!

Seriously awesome, it made me smile every day to see how uninhibited and happy he was.

ad said...

I would have loved to see such spontaneous moments of joy :)

I'm just around the corner from Laurier station - we must be neighbours.

ad said...

...Or *were* neighbours :)

Eco Yogini said...

yep- we must have been- i lived on Papineau and St Joseph... so not exactly SUPER close, but close enough in the big city of montreal :)

Good luck with your *new* life sans job!! Yay more yoga teaching!!