2.11.2008

The importance of cleaning

I cannot tell you how much pleasure I derive from taking care of my space.

In the past, I used to feel that chores around the house had to be dispensed with as soon as possible - or put off for as long as possible - in order to get to the so-called "good stuff". Washing dishes was seriously cutting into my going-out time, you know what I mean? You can't tell good stories about mopping the floor. Any time spent doing something that did not induce hysterical laughing or involve a late-night trip to the dépanneur for beef jerky was obviously wasted time.

But nowadays, taking care of myself - and my home - is not something to be rushed through or ignored. I like watching soap bubble over my dishes. I love pressing freshly laundered clothes to my face and taking in their scent before carefully folding them. I sing a little song as I push my dust broom down the hall. I laughingly call myself a prat when I forget about the green beans in the back of my fridge and I have to deal with the hairy tupperware container.

Just when I started thinking that maybe I needed to hide this daily bliss, I came across this passage in a book I'm reading by Brad Warner: We harbour some explicable fear that if we start to enjoy everything about life without picking and choosing we might cease to exist. And then I felt better.

Because life is series of moments and taking care of your space is just as valuable a moment as any other in this too-brief life. Because taking care of your space ensures that any time spent at home - alone or with friends - will be a happy time. Because you shouldn't limit yourself to feeling pleasure only when friends and family are around, or when you're out being social.

Because a happier you means everyone that falls into your orbit will also be happier.

If I am only given x number of seconds in this lifetime, then I am going to try and squeeze joy out of every one. And if a couple glasses get rinsed in the process, all the better.

No comments: