2.15.2008

Resolutions 2008

No, I am not announcing the death of my 2008 Resolutions. I am actually finally getting around to making them.

Quick review of 2007 resolutions:
1) Find myself a new home. Crossed off the list in November. Next, suivant...

2) Get a dog. Shortly after making this resolution, I found a stray Schnauzer and adopted her for a while to test-drive pet ownership. Although Nigella was hypo-allergenic, I quickly discovered that my lifestyle did not suit raising a happy dog. The wet *surprises* found every afternoon confirmed that. She's now frolicking on a farm.

3) Join a yoga studio. Done! A little late, but done nonetheless.

New resolutions for 2008:
1) Write regularly. Already working on that one. Thanks to the blog, I am now writing more regularly than I ever have in my entire life. Seriously.

2) Do something about getting to India. Okay, that one sounds weird, but there's a good explanation. My dream trips are Costa Rica and India. However, if I can only take one huge trip in the next few years, then I may as well go to India. I love ancient cultures. I love the thought of being somewhere primordial - where life began. I also love yoga and naan bread, both of which, I've been told, are to be found in great quantities in India.

Problem is, I'm not mentally ready to go to India yet, for the following reasons:
a) The crush of people. I get peevish when I get jostled by backpacks on the metro. I must be prepared to deal with a total lack of personal space. Total.
b) The crush of poverty. (Yes, this is the same girl who bought a relatively-pricey raincoat a few days ago.) I can travel in the most modest of circumstances, and subsist on meagre supplies, but how will I face so much poverty from every direction and not cry from morning to night?

So while I prepare myself, I plan to buy some books about India - maybe a flashy Eyewitness travel guide and a practical Lonely Planet travel guide - that I can skim through and dream over. I know it's low-balling it - not a very hard resolution to live up to - but it's realistic.

Hmmm... still thinking about naaaaaan.


NB1: My sister Tina Fey is in a new movie. I hope she fares better with the baby than I did with Nigella.
NB2: All my love to Alex R and Daniel G for giving me my first Valentine in years - and for giving me hope. xx

No comments: