7.10.2008

Best things said by other people

There was a time when people turned to philosophers and great thinkers for the words of wisdom that reflected their own experience and/or provided some inspiration for transforming their experience.

Today, for the most part, we turn to pop culture for that very same validation/inspiration, relying on lyricists, screenwriters, and comedians to deliver those precious few words that will flip the switch inside our brains and let some happy adrenaline flow in.

Ever notice that when someone delivers a snappy line, it's frequently followed by someone else asking, "Where have I heard that before?" or "Which movie is that from?" or "Is that from Seinfeld?"

This should not be surprising. Those of us born in the 70s and 80s were mostly raised by television. Reading isn't as popular an activity as it used to be. There are still many great thinkers in the world inspiring those with an open, curious heart, but in a so-called fast-paced world, most of us get our wisdom where we can find it. And with fries on the side, please.

For example, I love the Dalai Lama (so giggly, so tiny, so wrinkly!), but I spend more time in a movie theatre than I do meditating on the words of His Holy Cuteness. Also, given the choice between taking a stroll with Virginia Woolf, or having ice cream with Tina Fey, I would be hard-pressed to make a decision.

That being said, I don't think we have anything to be ashamed about. I think it kind of comforting to be getting words of wisdom from other people - from equals - and not always from epic and enlightened super humans whose greatness very few will ever attain.

Here are some words that have made me reflective of late. Please feel free to share your own.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.
Mac MacGuff. Juno.

I'm not depressed, I'm just paralyzed by hope.
Maria Bamford.

Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.
Clementine. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'll be beating my heart's record for speeding.
Modest Mouse, "Dashboard"

No comments: