10.02.2008

On the reading pile this week

Just completed: Wired Magazine, Issue 16.10

Best quotes :

From Weird Al: Forefather of the YouTube Spoof
"But Yankovic isn't just popular. He is also the unlikely forefather of the infectious, hyperlinked, quasi-referential comedy that's become the lingua franca of the Web."

"...whereas Yankovic could once mine such inexhaustible icons as Jackson and Nirvana for laughs, he now has to contend with the likes of Jessica Simpson or Kevin Federline—celebrities who are more or less already self-parodies. Being a music satirist in 2008 is a bit like being a political cartoonist after the Harding administration: too many easy targets, too few sacred idols."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently reading: Pardon our monsters, by Andrew Hood

Best quote so far:
"When Carol spoons me
she puts her lips on the nape of my neck, resting there and breathing there. The smell between us is salty and musky. She presses hard into me, her breasts smooshing between my shoulder blades, making little warm spots of sweat, and she winds into me like ivy up a trellis, her legs hooking into mine and her arm snaking under my armpit and over my chest while she strokes my cheek. Her breath smells like stale cigarettes and plaque. And I can't make a snide comment about it. She's dressed down so completely that I can't possibly dress her down any more. Now the panic sets in like a grass stain."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up next: Bhagavad Gita

This Sanskrit text of 700 verses is essentially the scripture of yoga.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think I need a digital camera. I keep seeing stuff I want to share - like the soap dispensers and sinks outside public bathrooms in Toronto (so classy!) - but I have no way to transit the images to you. I could just post photos from other sites and blogs, but as I work in the Web industry, I could not in good conscience poach photos. And I'm too lazy to write for permission.

No comments: