11.20.2008

Palanca's big day

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 was a big day. A sweeper day. In which many situations finally came to a head and were resolved in ways that were perhaps difficult, but nonethess inevitable and acceptable and natural.

There was laughter, tears, much discussion, wild applause, and so much love. I feel as if so many things are coming to an end right now, but only because amazing new things are ready to grow.

I will try to approach this methodically. And less abstractly.

Palanca's big day, a summary
  1. A highly stressful situation at work was finally resolved. I received a long overdue raise and was granted a four-week hiatus to pursue yoga teacher training next year (if Ashtanga Yoga Montreal will have me). My boss had every reason in the world to say no, but he didn't. And I am so grateful. Thank you, Étienne.
  2. Ms. Julie "helped" Joel Yanofsky host the QWF Awards Gala. Or rather interrupted the evening's proceedings with cute commentary and one (aborted) musical number. I was worried that I'd flub it somehow, but I think I performed quite well to the receptive crowd. My tenure as Ms. Julie is coming to an end and although she is loved hardcore, her future is uncertain. Let it be said that I loved every minute of it.
  3. And after all that, a friend and I said our final goodbyes. Not because he's moving to another country or going off to become a priest. We said goodbye because our friendship was more parts heavy than it was light. The history between us grew too big, was suffocating us, leaving no room for belly laughs and compassionate understanding. It was pending for weeks now. I was just lacking the courage. But I told him how much I'd miss him, how much I loved him, and he said all the right things too. No regrets. No things left unsaid. Just clear roads ahead for us both on our separate paths.
So now I'm home. And I'm tired. And with black eyeliner streaking my cheeks. But for the first time in a long time, I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Love to you all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Adri. I think of you at least once every couple days and I think I know exactly what you mean.
xo melissa

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you that I woke up this morning marvelling at what a multi-talented woman you are. You were so perfect on that stage last night, and yet that's just a tiny fraction of what you do in life. I didn't even know about the rest of your day! Congratulations on getting through it with such grace, and I can't wait to take a yoga class from you.

ad said...

Missy. I am loving you all-out, hardcore every day. I love the thought of you spreading smiles in the snow. MWAH.

And Anonymous-suspected-to-be-Matthew, thank you for the kind words on this cold morning. You inspire me all the time. Don't stop.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Adriana, to confuse you. I forgot to identify my anonymous self as Anne. I'm flattered that you thought I might be Matthew!

ad said...

Ever-anonymous-Anne, words still stand :)

Steve said...

Speaking as someone who is forever in your belly-laugh debt, I invite you over for your fill of guffaws and tomfoolery!

ad said...

Will there be chasing of children? I'm in!

Melanie Fordsky said...

:) It feels good to read you, gives us courage... I miss u! You deserve all the best :)
much love from Belleville :)

ad said...

Back at ya' Fordsky! xx

Tha Connoisseur said...

I know that I am late and I do apologize profusely for that. However you know that you are an extremely gifted, loving and amazing woman. I was and will always continue to be in awe of you. I love ya madly lady and support you in everything and anything that you do. I believe more than anything that everything happens for a reason - good or bad. So take everything that remains, take from it what you need and continue on your amazing journey. :)

xoxo

ad said...

Sweetcheeks, if it wasn't for the love of friends like you, I wouldn't be alive today. Thanks for being in my life and for making me want to be a better Rinanna.

Now, come back to Mtl soon so we can laugh over some social crutches...