2.25.2009

Palanca's top albums, Part III

In which the list finds it's end...

7) Stars, Heart (2003)
When I discovered my favourite band. An exquisite piece of writing and sound that makes me want to sing every word out loud, from the nuclear show in "Elevator love song" to the spotting of airplanes 'through my window lying on the kitchen floor' in "Heart". The voices on this album mirror the same careful observation through which I see the world.

NB. Amy Millan was once in my yoga class. It took everything I had not to hug her.

8) Esthero, We r in need of a musical revolution, EP (2004)

Met him on Sunday, loved him by Tuesday afternoon...

My second purchase of Esthero. I initially loved this EP because I had once met someone on a Sunday and did indeed love him by Tuesday. But that lust-at-first-sight turned into real love. I love Esthero's confidence, her unashamed expression of desire, and that balance she can sometimes paint between vulnerability/impenetrability.

Essentially, I love Esthero because she has these qualities that I wish I had. And she can put it all to music.

9) Stevie Wonder
What is the sound of pure joy? Stevie Wonder, of course! Whenever I want to extend the joy that does not cease to bubble inside of me, I pull out the Stevie Wonder. "Do I do" has always been a particular favourite as it so perfectly captures the feeling of bliss. Wonder's voice trills up your spine like a laugh. The brass warms your belly like butterflies. The bass caresses your neck like the hand of a lover. The guitar pulls up the sides of your mouth into a smile.

If to me your vibe can do all this, just imagine how it's going to feel when we hug and kiss.

Also, it goes without saying that I always skip the next track, "I just called to say I love you". That one will never sound right in my ears.

10) Hawksley Workman, Treeful of Starling (2006)
This is the album that I listen to when I am crushing on someone. As soon as I get sentimental over someone, Treeful goes into heavy rotation, with obsessive replays of "Ice age" - one of the most romantic songs - and "Goodbye to radio" - one of the sexiest songs. It also gets pulled into rotation when I wish that I were crushing on someone. Makes me dreamy.

Spread you so wide like the bluest of nights.

Anyone still there? Thanks for bearing with me on this one. I look forward to your own musical reflections. I'll be waiiiiting!

8 comments:

Tha Connoisseur said...

I am most definitely riding with you on #8 (I am planning to do an entry on her, she is so damn talented and doesn't get her due and just props!) and as for #9 THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING. You know I love me some Stevie. Born in May, I mean come on!! :)

ad said...

Ok, but don't tell tooo many people about Esthero. I'm not willing to share her with everybody :)

Anonymous said...

Not very familiar with Mr. Workman: I only know a couple of fun songs. But I am impressed that someone else I know knows him at all.

ad said...

I try to pretend that he never recorded that awful cigarette song.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Yeah, the only thing I know about Hawksley Workman is that people in blogs I read tend to like him. Methinks I ought to check him out, as the kids used to say.

ad said...

He has a quirkiness which is oft times pleasing. I haven't checked out his newest album tho'

Anonymous said...

I like the cigarette song. Especially the way it builds up between refrains.

My word verification word was "ickness"!

ad said...

Should publish a post with great verification words...