2.17.2009

Tango lesson 4

I love learning new things. Tango is teaching me new things. Ergo, I'm loving tango. Here's why:
  • I always assumed that to learn to dance, you had to worry primarily about the footwork. If you had the footwork down pat, you could refine the rest. Whoo-hoo, was I wrong! In tango, not only do you have to learn how to push your body forward in one fluid movement, but you also have to be completely aware of what your partner's body is saying. Footwork is just a small part of it. You have to be completely versed in your body's energy, your partner's energy, and how the two interact.
  • I love the push and pull. That is, I love feeling my body's weight against my partner's. I love feeling his weight against mine. And I especially love how the resistance created by those two weights can transform us into beautiful, sensual creatures in motion.
  • As Mtnhighmama pointed out, the inconsistencies. Tango is as unpredictable as love, sometimes fluid and romantic, sometimes difficult and requiring special attention and care. In moments, the only way to be successful at tango is to not overthink it. In others, to be successful, you have to be totally focussed on your movements. It changes every moment and you have to be open enough to welcome every change - rather than gnash your teeth and stop. The yogi in me can appreciate this.
And we're not even very good yet! How is it going to feel when we're not stumbling through the rough bits?

4 comments:

ModernTanguera said...

Welcome to tango! :) You are already discovering so many of the things that I love about tango (and that have made me terribly addicted to it) - being fully aware of your partner's movement (as well as your own), being in the moment and open to change, not overthinking it ... It's so exciting! :D

ad said...

I look forward to more addiction!

Anonymous said...

The correct syllogism would have to be: I love things that teach me new things; Tango teaches me new things; therefore I love Tango.

The way you have it entails only that you love the part of Tango that teaches you new things, but perhaps not Tango as a whole.

ad said...

Of course! Thank you Nathan!