8.30.2009

Horseback riding and birch trees

I went horseback riding today for the first time. My teeth were clenching for days just thinking about it, but once I got on the horse, I relaxed into the moment and gave myself over to the experience.

It was easy to do because Pearl, my horse, was the sweetest, most docile creature ever born.

Seconds after being lifted into the saddle, I found myself being transported quickly to a pile of hay. Pearl ate voraciously while the other horses were being saddled, even using her hind quarters to block any other horses that wanted to share in the yum. Once on the trail, the cream-coloured dame stopped whenever the other horses stopped, picked up the pace when the other horses did, and only strayed off the trail if it was too wet and puddly for her taste.

The only time she went (mildly) rogue is when we stopped in a field of clover and she made a beeline for her favourite sweet patch.

Not that the horse's behaviour in any way reflects the character of her (oft hungry) rider. Ahem.

As we ambled along, I noticed that fallen birch trees were strewn all over the forest floor. As I soon discovered - thanks to my brother's girlfriend - birch trees have a limited growth and life span. Once they've attained the end of their natural life cycle, they simply snap and fall, letting their bark sink back into the ground.

It got me thinking about my slowly clearing waters again.

Not only do we humans have trouble identifying the natural end of a job or a relationship, we have even greater issues with letting go. Fear of the unknown vs. the comfort of routine. But what is there to lose, really? Whatever you shed ultimately feeds new life. Even if you have to face failure, all that effort, all those feelings, go on to fuel something new.

Is there anything in your life right now that you should let go of?

7 comments:

Bram said...

I love that you're getting people to look at their lives from a different angle...I've long been a believer that regardless of how traumatic an event may be, the beauty and opportunity that will arise from it will be commensurate to the pain/heartache/difficulty incurred, and so far I've not been let down throughout the events in my life. Thanks for reminding me of all that...I'll pass the wisdom on whenever I can :)

peawry said...

I remember as a teenager going riding an my horse was this old nag named Ginger. She was really really old and supposedly docile. but once we got out to that field she let it go. She ran and ran and I held on to her mane, laughing. It was intense and beatiful. I hope you LOVED your day. Horses are god.

ad said...

Thanks Bram and Patra :)

As I get closer to making important decisions, it's good to know there are friendly voices out there confirming what I feel to be true.

love ya xx

Alston Adams said...

Can you give details on how others can partake in this? Where did you go? How much?

Verification word: RANCH. Yup. Fucking RANCH.

ad said...

Ranch - loL!

We went to the Double J Ranch in St-Lazare, which is about 45 minutes from Mtl. It was $30 for a 1.5hr ride.

http://www.doublejranch.ca/

Joann said...

heh...read the title as 'horseback riding and bitch trees' :D

I'd love to go riding one weekend, used to live on a quail farm w/ horses and they're just magical creatures. I never had that whole 'horse crazy' thing when i was a girl but riding is just so amazing.

I'm totally enjoying reading about your 'life journey' and am cheering you on and empathizing and thinking 'omg, me too!' You totally rock, chica!

ad said...

Thanks J! Can't wait to catch up with you tomorrow :)