8.09.2009

Rethinking your life

There seems to be a lot of this going around lately.

La remise en question, as they so aptly term it in French.

Some have attributed it to the economic crisis, with lay-offs and bankruptcies forcing previously complacent professionals to find new work, get retrained, or rethink their career paths entirely.

Highly-paid consultants are becoming massage therapists, marketing professionals are turning to real estate, and artistic directors are transforming into entrepreneurs.

There is a massive shift going on and chances are, if you aren't already questioning your future, you know plenty of people who are.

In a recent discussion, one friend was obviously frustrated with not already having the answer in sight. I can totally understand her impatience, but I can't take the same approach.

The right answers often take some time to materialize, and must be fed by weeks - maybe months - of reading, contemplation, discussion and quiet reflection. Your old friend Lao-Tzu once wrote:

Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action rises by itself?

I'm waiting for the water to clear, are you? What are you doing to help yourself in the meantime?

5 comments:

ad said...

Sorry about the overlarge foto.

I'm not that narcissistic. I just couldn't get the resizing right.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...yes, yes, YES! Sometimes, I don't even know how I came to some conclusion. It just gradually materializes in my mind, over some trivial event, like crossing the street to get to a specific spot in the park.

I'm not the most patient person I know, but I'm always up for sleeping on "it." It's amazing what a little rest and unconscious language can do for a life path. I'm usually very impressed at the outcome. And occasionally surprised...

ad said...

The surprise this time around is how much I'm enjoying the view as I wait. Everything is so **** pretty!

Sarah Lolley said...

I find it's hard to know if I'm being patient and waiting for the mud to settle, or if I'm being lazy/unmotivated and wasting time that could be spent seeking out the answer. Or is it the same thing, just without/with Catholic guilt?

ad said...

I suspect... Catholic guilt :)