9.21.2009

What does it mean to play?

While reading a pranayama book by Richard Rosen, I found this most interesting passage:

...to be playful is not to be trivial or frivolous, or to act as if nothing of consequence will happen.

On the contrary, when we are playful with each other we relate as free persons, and the relationship is open to to surprise; everything that happens is of consequence, for seriousness is a dread of the unpredictable outcome of open possibility.

To be serious is to press for a specified conclusion. To be playful is to allow for possibility whatever the cost to oneself.

To keep it short and sweet, What role does play have in your life? What's your favourite way to play?

And if you don't have an answer to these questions, think about it. It's important.

6 comments:

ModernTanguera said...

I love this! It is so nicely worded. It reminds me of a book I read while taking a dance improvisation class in college--it was called Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art.

As for your question, my favorite way to play is probably with tango. But I try to play at other times, like in my relationships, while making plans, etc. I don't always succeed (I have a habit of getting Serious about things), but I try!

dina said...

This is EXACTLY what I needed-that quote is me!

Alston Adams said...

Playfulness must then lead to the freedom to love. This is something that has haunted me (in a mostly good way) since my trip. And it might be one of the things I fear the most.

We need to talk about this; it could be a good conversation.

ad said...

It's that non-attachment stuff all over again...

Elizabeth Brinton said...

When I was first into gardening I was afraid to change things. I inherited a mature garden and so I was too serious! Now I arrange, and re-arrange and dig out and move things, and it is like painting...totally free and open to whatever the universe and nature will allow! Play, but real work and not free of consequence. But surely the way to learn.

ad said...

Originally I got stuck on "whatever the cost to oneself" because it sounded like too much vulnerability.

I feel better however, because of your line, "Play, but real work and not free of consequence". It feels more complete now.

Thank you, Elizabeth :)