9.22.2009

Tips for increasing creativity

As the transition at work has just begun, I'm still in the office on Mondays and Fridays but I'm technically working on my own projects.

It's nice for the rest of the team because if they need something quickly, I'm here. So far, I've been busy in the mornings with mandates for our clients, but I spend a few hours every afternoon on creative brainstorming.

I thought the situation might be too forced for productivity - that ideas wouldn't come. But they did. What helped?

Doodling. Reading. Listening to music. Doing puzzles. Chatting.

It may sound like glorified "goofing off", but when you goof off with mindfulness, it's an entirely different state of mind that prevails. Let me explain.

Instead of doing a word association game or stream of consciousness exercise, I merely took half an hour to just absorb the perceptions flowing in. I drew in the words and images with my eyes. I let the music pour into my ears. I felt the cool plastic of the pen pressing into my fingers.

The non-attachment to getting results. The release of control. The blissful surrender.

My senses were wide, wide open. Shortly after, the ideas began flooding in.

2 comments:

Jill said...

your description of that half hour...sounds lovely

ad said...

It truly was, thanks.
It felt like a bubble - like the world was far, far away.

Try it - let me know if it works for you.