11.20.2009

What does community look like?

I was catching up on a week's worth of blog reading this morning when I read a recent post by the extraordinary Roseanne (whom I’ve never even met in RL, even though she lives just a few blocks from me and we seem to be living parallel lives) over at It's all yoga, baby. In this post, she makes a visual representation of her community - that is, who she knows and how she knows them.

Wild at the thought of possibly making venn diagrams, I dropped everything to draw my own community.

Ta-dah!

I started out by defining the main areas of activity in my life where I met/meet people. Plotting out the different communities was fun - but not as fun as drawing arrows between communities to indicate multiple links. I have one writing buddy - Alexis - who was originally a school buddy, who is now also a work buddy and a neighbourhood buddy. And she's starting tango soon. And she's done yoga in the past.

Most of the arrows point back towards the Mile-End/Plateau because that's where most of the people I know live/work, so there's more traffic in that corner, but understandably so. In fact, now that I think about it, there are probably a few more arrows that could have pointed towards the Mile-End/Plateau segment.

Two things to note:
1) My family doesn't link up to any other sphere in my life other than geographical location.
2) I have a whole segment of friends that I met through social media (excluding blogs) - like Patra or Jay. Although these people have since joined other segments of my life (Patra also now belongs to "Writing Buddies" too), the point of origin is the Internet.

Having completed this diagram, I feel more confident that I must be doing okay in the running-my-life department. I have a variety of segments and vectors, indicating many friends who share the same values and interests that I do. My life looks very busy and full when seen in 2D - a nice counterweight to my usual, "What, me? I don't do anything - I'm boring!"

If you don't see where you fit in this diagram, let me know so I can revise it. I want to keep this on my fridge so that if I'm having a pity party one day, I can look at it and put things back in perspective.

So get to it! What does your community look like?

5 comments:

Jonathan Bergeron said...

Il manque un lien entre work et Tango Partner?

très occasionnelle!

roseanne said...

oooh, so cute! you're community is so pretty. i love your circles and boxes. and arrows ~ what a great idea!

also, lol: "Wild at the thought of possibly making venn diagrams"!

it really is amazing to see your community on paper, and this exercise also instilled a feeling of gratitude for my life and the many beautiful connections i have.

and we are living parallel lives! perhaps that's why we haven't met in RL ~ our lives are running side by side, like the edges of a path...

Anonymous said...

I take it I am in the arrow that points to the "distant and far away, but my life is not complete without them" box? LOL

ad said...

Roseanne - perhaps if we met, the universe would implode? Who knows? We'd better think twice before we chance it ;)

Miss Collywell - you are part of me every day and I owe some little part of me to your influence. How do I reduce that to a box? lol

Jonathan - tu as raison, je vais ajouter la fleche immediatement ;)

Alston Adams said...

It looks like a Facebook app.