1.14.2008

The association game

Indulge me my moment of nostalgia tonight.

You know how it is. There are some moments - some people - that you will forever associate with one song.

Cannonball by Damien Rice will always be JSH, whose presence is felt in my hips still, whom I will miss every day of my life.
Skinny boy by Amy Millan will always be AL, the perpetually sleepy, porcelain-skinned all-night DJ.
Mr Tough by Yo La Tengo will always be DN, captured in my memory as sounds and words and an infectious laugh.
It's a crime I never told you about the diamonds in your eyes by Black Heart Procession will always be SM, who offered my weary head the most sublime bed of stars to lie upon.

I don't mind saying these things so publicly. I know that most of you won't remember the details of my memories laid so bare on your computer screen. I fully expect that three or four words in, you'll start to have your own moment of nostalgia and forget to read the rest.

That is the gift I want to give to you all tonight. The pleasure felt in remembering old loves, old songs. If you do indulge yourselves - let me know. Leave a comment with a song title - some initials maybe.

It won't hurt, I promise.

3 comments:

Steve said...

There's a special (and occasionally unpleasant) place in my heart for Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover by Sophie B. Hawkins, Nightswimming by REM, the whole Songs of Love and Hate album by Leonard Cohen, and, of course, Chet Baker's My Funny Valentine.

ad said...

Thank you Steve for sharing.
And apologies to Sébastien Gagné for making him read about feelings
(does this mean you'll stop coming into my office and complaining now?)

Unknown said...

Feelings are bad...you have to keep them locked up inside until they burst-out. I will keep complaining because I'm convinced you appreciate it, it makes you better !! It's called tough love...I'm like your Hockey-dad.