1.12.2008

Miss/Mister

Anyone else notice that the word denoting an unmarried maiden is also a verb?

For example, Miss Adriana Palanca

It's more a directive than a statement. Are you people missing me out there? Don't make me come over there and whup you!

It's not as much fun with "Mister". There is the element of 'someone who mists'.

For example, Mister Clive Owen

But most people aren't going to assume that Clive's occupation is to keep vegetables in the grocery store dewy.

There's the whole rhyme with "Mister" and "missed her", but it doesn't work so well when you say it before a name.

Although I would like to think that Clive Owen misses me terribly and all the time.

3 comments:

Marc-Olivier said...

Justement, il me parlait de cela ce matin!

Il faudrait peut-être que tu l'informes de ton nouveau numéro de téléphone darling...

ad said...

What else did he say about me?

Unknown said...

I'm sure Clive does miss you, when he's not missing me of course....