1.18.2008

My name is a noun, a noun, and a noun.

Have you ever tried Googling your last name? This is what I found:

1) The Palanca is the Philippines' most prestigious literary award and is dubbed the "Pulitzer Prize" of the Philippines. Most important or major Philippine authors have won one or more Palancas.

Meta side note: I write. How cool would it be for Adriana Palanca to win a Palanca?

2) In Spanish, a 'palanca' is a lever, as in, a rigid bar resting on a pivot, used to help move a heavy load with one end when pressure is applied to the other, or a means of exerting pressure on someone to act in a particular way. From the Old French levier, leveor, from lever ‘to lift.’

Ironic side note: "I don't have a saviour complex, what are you talking about? I mean, would you like to talk about it? Can I give you a hug? A slice of cake?"

3) In the Cursillo Movement, a 'palanca' is a prayer or sacrifice done individually or in a community with the aim of obtaining spiritual grace. In the same way that a lever helps you lift something, the palancas help others overcome obstacles to grace.

Sarcastic side note: Everyone who has been lifted to spiritual grace because of me, raise your hand. [pause] No, getting your drunken carcass up three flights of stairs doesn't count. [pause] Yep, I didn't think so. Next. Suivant.

Palanca is also a commune in Romania, but there's no flash in that.

No comments: