1.29.2008

Azucar!

Thanks to the generosity of My Cosmic Twin, I was invited to attend the grand opening of the Cuba Art exhibit at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts. Generally, seeing an art exhibit is a meditative experience for me. I like to wander from one canvas to the other, letting each piece sink in, letting myself fall into the piece. The sheer number of people tonight, however, made it quite impossible for me to indulge in my usual pleasure.

And some stuff went right over my head... "Lex, is that canoe propped up on beer bottles?"

The photography however was outstanding. Especially those chronicling Havana as the 'all-night city'. Marlon Brando playing the bongos. Smoky-eyes temptresses dripping in ruffles, the ink of their seductive Spanish words seemingly fresh in the bottom right hand corner. Celia Cruz revealing a plunging neckline, and her wide, flat nose so white above her brilliant red mouth. Fleshy thighs, as succulent as melons, lustily shaking to a now-silenced beat.

Made me want to get as fat as an odalisk and learn how to samba.

Remember all those photos you've seen of Che Guevara? Chances are, they were probably taken by Osvaldo Salas. A few of them - especially "Tres hermanos" - left me breathless.

So go see the show. Or Google "fleshy thighs". In the meantime, I will start figuring out how to post photos.

Viva Che!


1 comment:

dina said...

I heard about the show on CBC last night - sounds good!