1.13.2009

God, religion, etc.

A talented writer I know recently addressed the subject of church-going in her blog. An excellent piece of writing that touched on many of the same questions I've been unravelling these last few years.

Questions that had already been re-opened on Christmas Eve when I agreed to attend mass. My purpose was to see my niece and nephew in the Christmas pageant, so I had no shame in sitting on a way-back pew with my brother and going through the paces.

I was not surprised to discover that I still remembered the prayers, the ceremonies and the sitting-kneeling-standing protocols. I was a little more taken aback however, when I realized that the words I murmured no longer echoed with meaning. I felt nothing. The only emotion I could muster was discomfort when I heard, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."

So when DB wrote the following about Unitarianism, I understood the attraction:

So the focus, as far as I could see, was upon creating a strong community of independent-minded individuals: be who you are, follow your own path, and come hang out with us because we will value and support you as you do it. I mean, how cool and comforting is that?

The Catholic Church and I parted ways for many reasons, the chief of which remains little-or-no acknowledgment of the power of the human deity. I could never reconcile myself to the concept that I had to be good enough to be let into heaven, that I needed God's forgiveness to live my life in peace and happiness, that whatever I achieved, I achieved thanks to God.

In my world, everything I achieve is thanks to my hard work - and the support and love of others around me. I make my own heaven here on earth. And I only need the forgiveness of my fellow beings - and myself - to live in peace and happiness. I try to make the world a better place on a daily basis. That is our superhero power as human beings - our ability to positively impact our lives and the lives of those around us with actions and words.

But I never learned about that in the churches of my youth.

Bref, I don't believe in the God that my parents sold me. I think there is a place for God in my universe, but I haven't figured out how our relationship is going to work yet. I just wanted to thank DB for reminding me that I am not alone in this quest, and that we must all find a spiritual outlook through which to see the world - whether it be through the church doors or while listening to your heart beat and waiting for the light to turn green.

Seriously, read DB's post and let her know what you think.

3 comments:

siobhan curious said...

I'm so glad you got something out of that post, and thanks so much for mentioning it here. Part Two is up! http://siobhancurious.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/in-which-i-become-a-unitarian-part-two/

Tha Connoisseur said...

Girl, I live with someone who swears on going to church EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY. And I read more along the lines that you speak about - I am more spiritual than anything. My alter girl days are o-ver. So as cool and down to earth as she is, we sometimes get into it about the same damn thing!

To make it short and sweet - I agree with you hun, wholeheartedly.

ad said...

Dana: Looking forward to part deux.

ThaConnoisseur: I'm sorry - did you say that you were an altar girl? Are there photos?