1.27.2009

Tango Lesson 1

The first obstacle: centre of gravity

Yoga: In many positions, when you push your sacrum forward, your sternum naturally pushes upwards and your shoulders open. It's also important to keep your weight centred over your hips. Your feet keep your grounded and a strong core keeps your back long.

This natural tendency is not so good in tango.

Tango: From the hips up, your weight moves towards your partner. Even when he is pushing you backwards, it's almost as if your torso does not want to follow. This resistance is important to understanding your partner's cues. Grounding happens in the core. Puffing your chest out is not helpful. Neither is trying to balance your weight equally at all times.

So not only must I learn how to relinquish control to my partner, I must also teach my body to be even more versatile.

Hmmmm, I cannot wait...

No comments: