1.22.2009

Things my mother tells me

Those of you that have had the pleasure of meeting Maria Palanca know the adorable gems that regularly flow from my mother's mouth. Cutie-pie things like, "Have a Coke, it's a nice drink for ladies" and "You don't eat meat, ok! Don't get upset! I'll make you chicken instead!".

Needless to say, I love her to death. Most of the time, her advice is completely off the mark because she doesn't quite grasp what my life is like, but her intention is so genuinely affectionate that I love her even when she says crazy stuff.

One thing she does get right is when something terrible or unfortunate happens, and she says:

"Sono le cose che succedono à quelli che vivono. À quelli morti non succedono più."

Which means:

"These are things that happen to people who are living. They don't happen to dead people."

Translation from Maria-ese: "It's better to be alive and be dealing with terrible things, than to be dead and not be able to do anything at all."

Strange logic, but oddly comforting. Happy 70th birthday, ma!

No comments: