1.09.2009

Tattoo explained

So why a tattoo after all these years? I finally found the one image that I could see being important to me for the rest of my life.

First, I decided on a flowering branch. It had to be a branch with both leaves unfurled and leaves still in bud. To remind me that there is always new life – new creation – about to be born. That it is never too late to be surprised by new hope.

I also decided early that I wanted the branch to start near my ankle and to climb around my shin. Almost as if the branch were growing from the roots of my feet. Why? To remind myself to stay grounded, to not get carried away by the making of stories in my mind. An eternal reminder also of why I do yoga, of the respect I have for my body and its strength.

I just didn’t know what kind of branch. Until one day, Melissa Trottier said, “Didn’t you say you wanted an olive branch?” I hadn’t but…

An olive branch, of course! Why didn’t I think of that?

For the Mediterranean blood that runs through my veins. For the colour of my skin. For peace. Leaves both open and unfurled. Tiny white flowers hailing the imminent budding of more exotic fruit.

So perfect I wanted to cry. (Melissy, have I thanked you enough?)

A day has been booked – a Friday in April – to seal my new pact with myself. It will be based on an illustration I discovered online (above). An inked promise to be always grounded, always creating, always myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ben là là, I would not have imagined anything other than an olive branch for you. You didn't even have to explain.

In 1979, the first time I set foot on my ancestral soil in Sicily, after so many years of denial (who did I think I was kidding, trying to be Anglo, British Anglo, no less), I laid eyes on the most beautiful little trees dotting the rugged landscape, everywhere I turned, with these wonderfully delicate shimmering silver glinted green leaves and I asked what are those, and some smarmy cousin answered olive trees, as if I were some kind of alien being who didn't recognize olive trees.

They have always been my favourite and a symbol of the first discovery at 21 of who I really am. So yeah, baby, olive branch.

ad said...

Your writing talents are being wasted on public relations. Thank you for gracing my blog with your lovely words.