4.07.2008

Taking the hit

Sometimes when I say 'go' , my body says no. This time it's my knee. The muscle that runs behind the cap feels inflamed somehow. Like the back of my kneecap is stuffed with cotton and every time I try to bend the knee, it all compresses, making the movement feel unnatural, uncomfortable.

It started on Sunday morning. I've had it once or twice before - but that was back when I was jogging. In fact, I quit jogging for fear that I was doing some kind of irreparable damage to my knee. I quit last summer and hadn't had any recurrences... until this Sunday.

So I've been icing it on and off, and trying not to feel guilty about the bag of peas that I'm wasting in an effort to soothe my cottony joint. The knee is getting better at least.

Thing is, I really wanted to go to yoga today. I spent half the day with that bag on my knee, silently trying to convince myself that I could do the class, I just wouldn't do jump-backs or jump-to-sit, etc. I even asked H. if he thought that I could do yoga today. Although he's not a doctor, I just wanted one person to agree with me so that I could silence my doubts.

H. replied (in that sober, rational voice people are constantly using against me), "Do you really want to take the chance of screwing up your knee over the long term?"

*Sigh*

So I'm taking the hit. Yoga can wait until tomorrow. There are enough downward dogs left for another day. I'm staying home tonight, and will shortly be consoling myself with lime jello and No Country for Old Men.

Make that two bowls of lime jello.

2 comments:

Sandra Simao Andrade said...

That movie is AMAZING. I watched it twice in 2 days...and then had to return it to the video store. Javier Bardem...hummmm. Well not in that movie, but you know what I mean.

ad said...

Josh Brolin in smoookin'!