9.10.2008

Best practices in social media marketing

I recently read an article on Mitch Joel’s blog in which he challenged his readers to write about the best practices in social media marketing. Of the entries I read, there were many ideas that impressed me, including Chris Brogan’s thoughts on the importance of listening and Kristie Wells’ insistence on being human.

Why did they impress me? Their simplicity. When I began my research, I expected to find recommendations of a more technical nature. Silly me. Considering the nature of social media, it shouldn’t be surprising that its best practices are essentially human-based.

My own contribution to this ongoing discussion is also remarkable for its simplicity: proofread what's been written before hitting 'Send'. Yes, yes, roll your eyes at the copywriter insisting on the importance of checking for - and correcting - spelling mistakes, dropped words and grammatical mistakes.

And yes, I realise that making mistakes is part of being human, but if you are writing on behalf of a client or are selling yourself as a professional, it's important to build credibility by showing diligence in everything you do - or write.

Make no mistake about it:
  • Publishing a properly proofread text shows respect for your readers.
  • Sending polished communication demonstrates an attention to detail that will also (in the reader's mind) reflect positively on the quality of the company/product/service.
  • An error-riddled text will dilute the message, no matter how important it may be. Proofreading preserves the integrity of your message.
Also, if you're conducting a conversation in a language not your own, ask an expert to check it over for you.

So please take a few minutes to re-read what you're written before publishing. The effort is easier than you think - and the benefits are greater than you imagine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adriana, I think the amazing thing about this exercise is seeing how many of these 'recommendations' are essentially things we ask people to do in real life, not just when using the Social Media tools these days. Ideally, we would all act the same online as we do offline.

And I love the proofread addition - it is something I often forget and need to make sure I put it back at the top of the list.

ad said...

Thanks Kristie! It's tough being a Protector of the Language in an SMS world...