9.18.2008

Toothbrush technology

I was trying to buy a toothbrush on Sunday night when it occurred to me that some industries don't require this much advanced technology.

Highlights included:
  • The Colgate Navigator (not to be confused with the SUV model favoured by rap stars), which helps avoid excessive pressure on gums and reduces the risk of injury to gums.
  • And the Cadillac of mouthcare, the Crest SpinBrush ProClean (two trademarks). Ergonomic design. Premium designer colours. Dual action technology. Babes - and batteries - not included.
I'm one of those people who are confounded by too much choice. When confronted with four feet of toothbrush display, my eyes shift out of focus and my jaw goes slack. Once I've eliminated every model with a Dora the Explorer masthead, I have difficulty discerning which toothbrush model will best suit my dental care needs.

And beyond that, what exactly are my dental care needs? Am I worried about gum injury? Should I be?

I chose the Vitalizer because it had a nice combination of fuschia pink and neon green. I'm sure marketers will be thrilled to discover that after their scientification of toothbrush brands, it all comes down to which toothpaste has the nicest colour.

Ha!

2 comments:

ad said...

I take back my sarcasm. My gums have never felt so good. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

For a deeper exploration of this issue, check out "The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less" by Barry Schwartz.