9.25.2008

The writer's dilemma

I recently ran an experiment on myself (don't worry - I was fully informed and gave my unequivocal consent). I called a one-week social moratorium, in which I kept the two appointments I had previously made and declined any other offers. I filled my evenings with writing - or rather revising of Chapters 5 and 6.

It was such a success that I extended it another week, using the time to prepare for the Shuck launch, finish my book review, and blog. I was so happy! The writing was flowing, my hair was shinier and I was sleeping like a kitten.

And yet... This week, I was once again sidetracked by dinners, wine and The Wire. Oof! Crazy thing is - I really love writing regularly. It feels good. It suits me. But I also need human contact.

So the conclusion is - either I give up writing entirely (not bloody likely) or I convince a lovely boy to join me in my writerly life. The two of us could sit quietly for hours on end, each one working away at our pet projects, before looking up at the clock sometime past midnight, giving the other a peck goodnight and then tumbling into bed as one word-weary self.

Sleeping in might also have to fit into the equation, but I could be flexible on that point. Maybe.


And for your flashback of the day, I bring you The Cure... because it's Wednesday (stay in bed).

No comments: