9.04.2008

Interviewing

Following Mr. Robertson's departure and my meteoric rise to the Big Desk, there have been many changes in the office.

In addition to creating a brainstorming space with a fabbo peanut-shaped table and fun flowerboxes for the wall, Martino* and I have also reorganized our office to welcome two new colleagues - a full-time English copywriter (Dario** starts in ten days) and a French editor/content strategist (send your CVs to emplois@90degres.ca).

As candidates must work very closely with us, Martino and I have been sitting on the interviews for both positions. We were initially worried that it would cut into our work time, but the dynamics that unfold during the interview process are too fascinating to pass up.

(because whenever the human ego is involved, it's going to be one helluva show).

For those of you that doubted it, yes, it is possible to understand the essence of someone's character during a half-hour interview. Even with a marshmallow-soft-good-cop like me on the panel.

Interesting things noted during our many interviews:
  • Candidates are always trying to impress you with their positive attitude, but if they get comfortable with you, and they are not truly positive, their true attitude will present itself (usually at Minute 26).
  • You need a 'bad cop' in the room to make the magic happen.
  • Candidates will try to pull the wool over your eyes by presenting work that is not entirely their own, never realising that when the ooh-ing and aah-ing is done, their poorly executed writing test will give it all away.
  • There are some truly atrocious spellers out there. That's a-t-r-o-c-i-o-u-s. In the test, this may be overlooked due to the limited time given to finish the exercise. In a cover letter, however, it is instant death.
  • It's getting increasingly easier to identify boob jobs - even through the layer of business wear. The tan is usually the first indication.
  • Many people overestimate their talents, just as many people underestimate. Thus the importance of the writing test.
There are more interviews to come. I just hope they're half as entertaining as the last batch.

----------------------------

*Martin is not Italian. I just like to wopify the names of my colleagues whenever possible.
**Dario is of my tribe. Viva Italia! There are 2.5 Italians in the office now. Almost enough for a conspiracy...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What?, I don't count for a full one... has Marc-Olivier gotten to you?

ad said...

You're 50% Gaspesien, Steve.
My hands are tied!

Unknown said...

But it's the closest you can get to taly while staying in Quebec...:(

Tha Connoisseur said...

Alright, I think you just put the fear of interviewing again right at the forefront of my psyche!! I think I just puked in my mouth...

ad said...

At least yours are real, babee!

Tha Connoisseur said...

***black woman blushing YET again***