5.30.2009

Day One - Yoga teacher training

8.00-9.00: Meditation
9.30-11.00: Yoga
11.00-12.00: Lunch!
12.00-4.00: Anatomy

Note 1:
My meditation demon appears to be judgment, in the form of analysis, i.e. going over real-life situations, interactions with people or plot lines and evaluating how effective/positive/plausible they were. I think I even spent a few moments this morning being disappointed in the story arcs on Grey's Anatomy over the last few years.

I have given my intellect way too much power over the years. It's time I take that power back. I also have feelings. They might benefit from a little more attention.

(I turned my intellect back on for the anatomy portion of the program though).

Note 2:
A good proportion of the class is made up of dancers, circus performers, and acrobats. People who make their living with the bodies, and who enjoy a degree of flexibility (and physical tonus) that I will probably never attain. On breaks between lectures, they would perform physical feats in the middle of the room to showcase their many talents.

Once I got over the feeling of being the old fat lady in the class, some observations rose to the surface. Although yoga naturally attracts the athletic because of the potential for impressive contortions, according to what I've always understood, you don't need superhuman bendy ability to be a good yoga teacher.

But (assuming that you have all that other important teachery stuff) will students still respect you if you can't get that foot behind your head?

8 comments:

Mtnhighmama said...

yes, they will still respect you. I would prefer to have someone that actually relates to the struggles I go through with my body, that understands that it doesn't always come easily, and that I can look at and find some common ground with.

Etienne said...

Ad,

You know better than me that yoga is not about performance, not about putting your feet behind your head. (Just make sure you don't put it in your mouth and it will be ok.) Don't compare yourself with others, compare yourself with you. Feel your body. Feel your mind. And feel free.

ad said...

I was hoping that was the case, but I think I needed to hear it from people I trust to believe it as really true.

Thank you :)

ad said...

Etienne -- EN ANGLAIS.
Je suis impressioné, merci!

zura said...

Very important point, here. Yoga is all about deciding to take up a healthier more mindful lifestyle, not how bendy you can be. Sure, bendiness can be part of it, but being "good at yoga" is like saying "being good at breathing." Good on you for coming to this realization.

ad said...

Thanks Zura!

I made this silly assumption a while ago that people who practice yoga regularly don't have a huge ego problem. But that is being stripped away slowly. There are all kinds of people in yoga, I get that now.

So I'm re-focussing on not worrying about other people's practices and getting on with my own.

Going well so far :)

roseanne said...

Yeah, the world really doesn't need another superbendy acroyogi teacher. What we do need, though, are intelligent, articulate, self-aware teachers ~ which you clearly are. Good for you for taking on this teacher training despite your reservations.

ad said...

Thanks Roseanne :) - especially because you've got a new blog for me to read.

Today I was talking to another woman in my class and she expressed the same doubts I had about being "strong enough".

There is nothing as comforting as knowing you're not alone. I never get tired of learning this lesson.