5.07.2009

My mother wins. Again.

When I decided to get a tattoo, everyone said, "Wow! What will you tell your mom?"

When I got the tattoo, everyone said, "It's gorgeous! What did your mom say?"

And now that it's been a month, everyone is asking, "You haven't shown your mom yet?"

The truth is, I've been putting it off, not wanting to deal with the inevitable explosion of how could you? and why would you waste your money? and what are people going to say? and have you changed religion?

Tonight I finally stopped being such a scaredy-squirrel. I paid a visit to my mother, telling her beforehand that I had a surprise to show her. I strode into her kitchen, propped my foot on the table and lifted my pant leg with a tah-dah!

[pleasedontyellatmepleasedontyellatmepleasedontyellatme]

My mother nudged her glasses further up her nose and said, "Why did you put it so low? I'd have put it up higher. Do you want another piece of cheese?"

Even after 36 years, she's still outsmarting me, dagnabbit!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Ha-ha! I love your mom.

Sandra Simao Andrade said...

I don't believe it! I simply don't :)
Maybe she thought it was a fake one! This little story gives me hope that one day my parents too can be "normal"

ad said...

Oh-hooo she knows it's permanent!

I think this means she may finally have stopped worrying about the fate of my soul, that she's decided I'm a good person or something, and that she doesn't have to worry about things like tattoos.

Weird. Six more years, Sandra. If the law of averages apply. Hang in there!