5.12.2009

Problem with Twitter

I tweeted Eddie Izzard today. He won't respond but I sent my two cents anyway because my love of Eddie Izzard is greater than my good sense. I giggled to think that my name would flash across EI's iPhone.

So yes, I love being able to eavesdrop on the thoughts of faves like Eddie Izzard and Tina Fey. Yes, it's amazing to see how many creative people there are in my circle and watch the evolution of their projects. And yes, I love the ability Twitter gives me to share interesting articles and pick through articles posted by friends.

But I'm still not convinced that Twitter deserves that much of my attention. Not only I am not interesting enough to generate enough content for such a medium, but I find that most people on Twitter are not worth following either. Beliefs that were confirmed when I read this article by J. Peder Zane. He brought up two points that I'd like you to mull over.

We are self-absorbed and we like to be in control. Twitter satisfies both impulses.

Direct interaction is unpredictable. One of the joys and tribulations of conversation is the pressure of real-time give and take. Text messaging relieves that anxiety. We process the material on our schedule -- say what we want, when we want. Or don't say anything at all. Instead of forcing us to be our warts-and-all selves it allows us, at least in theory, to control the face we show the world.

The thing is, I follow those I follow because I respect what they do and they keep up my interest with good content. They're genuine. But you all know people who use their Twitter account to self-aggrandize, over-promote and overexaggerate their achievements with gratuitous content.

And that's what the blessed "Block" button is for.

So I continue to flirt with Twitter, but I don't think it's ever going to get serious. For who I am, for where I'm going, only recreational use makes sense.

6 comments:

Alston Adams said...

For microblogging purposes, it's ideal. No sense wasting a real post if it's less than 140 characters, and you have no intention of expanding it. I like it because I can get relevant news from like-minded people. It's nothing especially personal.

ad said...

And that is why I follow you, Alston. You're "like-minded" people to me.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

If I had access to Twitter in work I'd probably spend more time there. But from what I've seen it's rather cliquey already. I spend a lot of time in Tumblr these days (I'm repaying my boss's lack of respect for me in kind), which I find a more interesting halfway point between blogger and twitter.

oblivionboy said...

I think people are just narcassistic and lonely. I seldom use twitter, except to find out whats going on with diffrent groups and organizations -- such as for example the Montreal Web Log. I maybe pretty narcassistic, but I'm seldom lonely. :)

ad said...

I like how your word embraces both "sarcastic" and "narcissistic" :)

(how is that word spelled?)

oblivionboy said...

The lexical liberterian strikes again!!