3.09.2009

36 years

I just called my mother.

Me: Hello! I was just born.
Ma: [laughing]
Me: I figured since I kept you up 36 years ago, I might keep you awake tonight too.

It was a short conversation because she's 70 now and likes to go to bed early. She told me the story of how she cried when I was born. How the nurse asked her, "Mrs. Palanca, first you were crying because of the pain. Why are you crying now?"

"Because I have a daughter," she said.

I used to roll my eyes through that story-heard-too-often, but now I listen attentively. And smile. I told her that I couldn't talk long because I had some things to do. So she told me that she loves me more than a nest of mice and bid me tonight.

It's been a very good birthday. A very good 36 years. Thanks to all who contributed to this important effort!

6 comments:

Mtnhighmama said...

Happiest of Birthdays to You!

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Happy birthday!

Wings said...

Happy Birthday!

ad said...

Thanks friends!

Anonymous said...

A nest of mice? Is that a badly-translated Italian expression?

ad said...

No, the translation is correct - it's just one of those awkward/absurd Italian metaphors. And my mother is a little *special* :)