3.04.2009

Tango lesson 6

It was very good cold in Montreal on Tuesday. Like 17 degrees below zero. I arrived at the studio with frozen earlobes and a runny nose, desperately needing to feel the blood moving through my veins again. And it did.

There is only one thing I learned in tango yesterday night: I am finally making progress in reading cues - no matter who my partner is. In fact, I am now better able to tell the difference between muddy cues and clear cues.

Partner X: Why are you still waiting with your ankles crossed?
Me: Because you haven't told me where to move yet.
PX: I haven't?
Me: Nope. I'm looking at your shoulders right now and they're pretty quiet. So are the arms.
PX: I think I was using my hands...
Me: Let's try again!

On occasion, I become very worried that I'll miss a cue. Every sense is listening (too) attentively for the tell-tale tip of the arm, the unmistakeable opening of the shoulder, but in those moments, I find myself becoming distracted by the colour of my partner's shirt, what other people were doing, whether the instructors were watching, etc.

If I'm not focussed, my senses take in too much, everything starts to feel like a cue and I make false starts. Last night I understood how easy it is to identify the cues when you let your mind dwell only in the circle of your arms. And in the circle of your partner's arms.

It's like another form of meditation. But in heels!

The fun part is - my partners are also better able to identify my cues. We're still baby chicks, but at least now we can help each other improve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tout comme toi je découvre le Tango.

Tu est désormais plus réceptive aux « cue » de ton partenaire. Moi j'apprends à mieux communiqué mon « intention ».

Il nous reste à tous les deux à prendre ces apprentissages sur la piste en apprentissage de tous les jours.

ad said...

Jon - merci de pratiquer avec moi dans la cuisine de 90d!

Mtnhighmama said...

Oh! How lovely. Isn't it nice when you can mark your progress?

If it helps at all, I can tell you that at some point you stop paying attention to the cues and they just become part of the conversation. You just hear it and respond, and it is lovely.

and you're right. that circle of your arms that unites you two, that is where to be. And in your heart of course, and always in the music. but not in your head.

no room for your head in tango. at least, not while the music is playing.

ad said...

I got a chill when I read "they just become part of the conversation". What a beautiful way to express it...