3.10.2009

Yoga and space

What? You thought with all the shiny-newness of tango, I would put aside my beloved yoga? Never! Palanca's got time for everything, mwahahaha!

In fact, I'm made some startling progress with the yoga lately, thanks in large part to my ability to maintain a schedule of three practices per week.

So you already know that you don't breathe to improve your yoga practice, instead you practice yoga to improve your breathing. This is accomplished by creating space. Through the asana, you create space within your body so that the breath (prana) can circulate with greater ease. Similarly, through the breath, you create the space you need to "melt into" each pose.

I understand that the space is already there, that it's just a matter of opening it. The amazing thing I just realised (I can hear your applause already) is that this space is not just opened during the practice. Once you've made the space, over time, that space stays open and is always available to you.

Or more plainly said: The door is always there. You have to learn how to open it. And once you've learned how to open it, it always stays a little open to welcome you in. You don't have to keep twisting that knob so hard.

All I have to do is breathe and suddenly, janu sirsasana C is within my grasp (I can rotate the hip and my knee feels cosy - I just can't reach forward yet). It's very surprising sometimes to find myself in new places - but I just keep breathing.

Just keep breathing.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Brinton said...

I ended up trying very hard to go to my regular studio for yoga practice, but after a while I was, um, sleeping at that time of day...due to tango nights! Now I do some yoga at home and it helps my tango I am sure, or maybe the tango helps my yoga....
Hey I mentioned your blog in mine today. Nice to read your thoughts.
E

ad said...

Thanks for the mention! I am putting together a little post about "amazing blogs by tangueras you should read" in the next little while too.

Interestingly, during tonight's lessons, one of the instructors said, in reference to the men, "You must create the space and then invite your partner to step into it that space".

A little light when on in my brain like a beacon confirming that "yes, being a yogi is helping your tango, and tango is helping the yoga".

It was a very satisfying experience :)