3.11.2009

Tango lesson 7 - Beginners II

So Wednesday is the new Tuesday - Beginners II is on a new day and at a new time (8.30-10.00pm). Tonight's class was very satisfying and as I walked home, I started to worry about a subject for this post.

"What did I learn tonight?"

No answer in mind, I came home and started reading the backlog of unread posts in my Google Reader account. And that's when I read this in MsHedgeHog:
I want to express myself musically, without making a big performance of it. I want to interact with men, and other women, in a way that gives me joy and doesn't weigh me down with burdens. I want to get all dolled up, once or twice a week, and feel graceful, and sensual, and fun-loving. I want a reason to wear pretty clothes and shoes. I want to do something with my body, and delight in it, and have it appreciated by other people. I want to do all this as well as I can, but without an obligation to anyone but me.
And then I realised the miracle that tango has produced in my life (or has h
elped produce in my life). Quite suddenly - and without advance notice - I'm starting to like my legs.

This is the part where I explain.


Every woman has (at least) one part of their body that they would gladly exchange in a heartbeat - for me, it's my legs. Although I had a very nice calf and strong feet, everything above the knee and up to the hip brings me no joy. I have been blessed with many good features, but gams... I don't got.


But during class - somehow - my legs feel longer, more sensual, more worthy of admiration. I feel like I could suddenly seduce with one s-sweep of the ankle.

I'm not questioning how. I'm just grateful. Thank you, tango!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NB1:
Thanks to the power of the Google search engine, I find myself now welcomed into a community of tango bloggers whose passion for tango is bone-deep and for life. To meet some inspiring tangueras, drop in on MsHedgeHog, but there's also Elizabeth at Working Artist - Tango, Art, Life and our friend Mtnhighmama at Sweetest of Things. There are more - I just haven't gotten to all of them yet!

NB2:
I found a whole new tango shoe company called Nueva Epoca. Their website is the source of today's footwear selection.

8 comments:

ModernTanguera said...

If you want a wonderful source of information on (and photos of!) beautiful shoes, a friend of mine has a whole blog about them: http://www.tangoshoedivas.com/shoedivas/

:)

ad said...

Ooooh - thanks for the blog tip - and for adding your own to the list!

Mari said...

I'm new to tango also - only a month of classes so far, but it really has changed the way I feel about my legs and the way I move generally. I feel so much more in control of my walk all day. I love your posts, btw - they're very inspiring and the tango community (online and off) is just fantastic!

ad said...

It's nice to meet you, Mari!

I look forward to reading My Tango Diaries and learning more about the tango community in your corner of the world.

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Thanks for the mention!

msHedgehog said...

And thanks too. When I'd been doing tango for a few months my sister, who hadn't seen me for a while, said "Your walk's changed. It's much sexier." That was nice.

ad said...

Oooh, can't wait!

dina said...

I think I would take this up just for the shoes - GORGEOUSLY YUMMY!