3.15.2009

Food hangover

Wow-o-wow do I feel yucky today. Mild headache. Lack of energy. Sun stings my eyes. A little bloaty. When I blink slowly, I can hear the blood rushing in my ears. Big pimple on my eyebrow. And I attribute it solely to the wild day of eating I enjoyed yesterday (oh, so good!)

Yesterday started with a late breakfast with Gillian. In the short (yet sweet) two hours we spent together, Gillian and I shared a big pot of coffee (which I hardly ever consume) laced with cream, three superb pastries, juice and a box of strawberries.

By noon, since the day had started off so well, I decided that I might as well make a day of it. Sure, I went to yoga and attended a three-hour workshop about ayurvedic detoxes, but they were tiny blips in my day of gluttony. I would not be deterred!

At seven, I went to a mass potluck at a friend's house in NDG. The first few hours were like an orgy. Margaritas, beer, homemade guacamole and salsa, asparagus dip, and a seemingly endless supply of corn chips (my Waterloo, damn you Tostitos!). Lime wedges everywhere... Then came the fajitas for dinner, followed by apple crumble pie and (did I imagine it?) Creamsicle-flavoured ice cream.

No foodstuff was safe. Everyone left looking a little dishevelled and ashamed when they left. I tried to stay up a little later to digest but to no avail...

So now I have a food hangover. I know I'm supposed to vow that I'll never do it again - but seriously? Who would believe me?

6 comments:

dina said...

Where did you find creamsicle ice cream?

ad said...

Dunno...
It was Breyer's though - shouldn't be hard to find.

Anonymous said...

Who are the people in the picture, and what the HELL is he holding??

ad said...

My uncle Nazzareno and his wife Franca. This was in the late 50s - before they were married.

He's holding Calimero! http://www.calimero.com/

Anonymous said...

Hm. I thought it was some sort of Italian golliwog.

ad said...

I don't know much about Calimero. I'm just hoping that in this case, a black egg is just a black egg :)